Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The fall of democractic parties in Hong Kong

Chief Executive Donald Tsang has just announced his democracy development plan of Hong Kong on TV this afternoon.

The content is mainly on that Hong Kong could have universal sufferage of Chief Executive and LegCo members not later than 2017.

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/071212/12/2l6wb.html

Members from DP & DAB made comments to this already (Please refer to news) and Yeung Sum said that it is totally disappointing and its an insult to Hong Kong and its citizens. To me as a layman I won't see it this way. Yes - probably its good to have universal sufferage in 2012 but there's not much difference to see it in 2017. (of course I might not say so if Tung Chee-Hwa is still the CE)

Again, as a layman, I do not want to see the CE is from DAB nor any pro-Beijing figure. However, I could see no one from the democractic camp could be the CE. Martin Lee? Certainly not. Hong Kong would be under deep shxt. Audrey Eu - maybe - but she has a small tumour in her head and I think she won't do it. Pro-Beijing camp I don't want to discuss at all although I would say Tsang Yok-Sing is a good leader and he looks a lot more responsible than many of the democractic figure heads.

Then I'd ask - why I need democractic political parties?
The answer is, they could counter the pro-Beijing parties. But could they really do so? Frankly I'd say no. They do not have the quality and resources. When Civic Party was established I think many Hong Kong people really hope that they could do something constructive to the democractic progression of Hong Kong, and probably they share the same idea as well.

However, it is disappointing that I could hardly see it works. Now their focus is on universal sufferage and environmental protection. No concrete economic stance at all.

Economic development of Hong Kong now highly depends on China. If a political party could have no channel to communicate with Chinese leaders I could see no possibility that they could help in booming the economy of Hong Kong.

What's left? Certainly the AOs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home